Construction sites are breeding grounds for accidents due to the potential hazards that workers and the public are exposed to such as heights, heavy machinery, and the combination of inclement weather, materials, and other conditions. Austin, with its incredibly fast-paced growth is no exception. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (“OSHA”) is the agency that often fines Texas companies for safety breaches. Those breaches may lead to injuries, and even death.
Some types of accidents that can occur at construction sites include but are not limited to the following:
- Accidents Involving Heavy Machinery – including incorrect operation of vehicles such as excavators, forklifts, and cranes; operator error; machine failure due to manufacturing problem or poor maintenance; inadequate safety equipment or complete lack of it; clothing, hair or jewelry getting tangled in the machine; or exposure to toxic substances or materials.
- Electrocution Accidents – Working around live power wires can pose serious hazards, such as surface-level burns, internal burns, falls, brain injury, permanent disability, and even death.
- Falls – Falls can happen at ground level or from several feet above the ground. Lack of harness or improper scaffolding can contribute to causing falls from upper levels of a construction site. Improperly secured equipment left on the floor such as wires, tools, or boxes can cause workers to slip, trip, or fall.
- Struck By – Being struck by a falling object, whether it is equipment, material, or a piece of machinery is a common risk at construction sites.
- Trench Collapses – Crushing injuries and deaths occur when an excavation trench collapses on itself. Most of these cases could have been prevented by a supervisor checking to ensure the safety of the structure and/or providing an adequate “trench box” or “trench shield”.
- Welding Accidents – Welding accidents typically involve very serious burns that may even lead to amputation of fingers and limbs, but there are also claims filed for exposure to radiation and damage to the eyes.
Examples of physical injuries that happen at construction sites can include but are not limited to the following:
- Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) and Brain Damage
- Paralysis and Other Spinal Cord Injury
- Crush Injuries
- Internal Injuries
- Blindness or Hearing Loss
- Broken Bones
- Skin Injuries
- Back Injuries
- Joint Damage
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Impalement injuries
There are different strategies to achieve a great result, and a person who sustained catastrophic injuries due to someone else’s fault should not try to handle their personal injury case on their own.
Failing to hire a personal injury attorney in a case to hold the person at fault responsible for the damages they caused could result in an injured individual being undercompensated for their losses.
Consult with an Experienced Construction Accident Attorney in Austin
If you or someone you love was injured by the carelessness of someone else, you should consult with an Austin construction accident attorney as soon as possible and get an opinion of whether there is a viable case.
A person is not able to wait too long before deciding whether to bring a claim or lawsuit against someone else. One of the reasons for that is the statute of limitations, which in most personal injury cases in Texas is 2 years.
Another reason may be that if one waits too long, by the time the person decides to hire a lawyer, the evidence needed to prove fault on the other party may be long gone. In such cases, unfortunately, some people end up stuck with large bills and increasing lost wages even though the accident was someone else’s fault. An accident that leads to catastrophic injuries necessitates a personal injury attorney’s evaluation to make sure the injured person’s rights are protected.
Call Our Austin Construction Accident Law Firm
If you or someone you love has been injured in a construction site accident, you need to contact Pastrana Law Firm at 512-474-4487 for a free consultation. We travel to you and are able to assist 24/7.